Since everyone's doing it, here are some of my security predictions for 2016.
- More ransomware
- More misuse of the word 'CryptoLocker' (this ransomware died somewhere in 2014)
- More malware
- More misspellings of malware ('mallware', 'maleware', etc.)
- More IoT devices (Internet of Things)
- More ransomware or other malware for IoT devices
- More database/company breaches
- More spam, phishing, etc.
- More (ATM) skimming
- More nation-state malware
- More governments spying on their citizens
- More privacy concerns
Essentially: more of the same. I also suspect 2016 the year of more nation-state malware to be discovered/uncovered. And of course more encrypting ransomware (aka 'cryptoware') as it's still a succesful recipe. As long as people pay the ransom, they will keep bringing out new & improved versions/variants.
More security predictions (and probably more explained in depth or simply better ones) can be found by performing a search with your favorite search engine.
May you have a safe, malware-free, privacy-friendly 2016!